[Gluster-users] rotating log files, again

Amar Tumballi amar at gluster.com
Mon Dec 13 13:56:05 UTC 2010

Hi Devin,

Answers inline.

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Devin Reade <gdr at gno.org> wrote:

> On 3 Nov 2010, Phil Packer had asked about rotating log files.
> While brick log files get rotated via the "gluster volume log rotate"
> command, the question was left unanswered for logs like:
>
>         /var/log/glusterfs/nfs.log
>         /var/log/glusterfs/VOLUME.log
>
> Is there any update on how we're supposed to rotate these files
> that's more friendly than shutting down glusterd, rotating them,
> and starting up glusterd again?

You can do below steps to get the log rotate done for these volumes:

step 1: get the pid of process for which you want to rotate the log ( hint:
" ps aux| grep <$logfile>" )

step 2: mv $logfile ${logfile}.1 (or any name of choice)

step 3: kill -HUP $pid_of_glusterfs_process

step 4: done :-)

> Finally, as far as the brick logs go, is the intent that after they
> are rotated we can just run a find(1) for old ones and delete them
> as required?

If you are covered under support, please check with Gluster Support before
deleting the files.

Or,
If the logs are old, and during that period you haven't faced any issues
with GlusterFS, you can delete them.

Regards,
Amar