[Gluster-users] GlusterFS 3.1.1 - local volume mount

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Thu Dec 9 22:17:25 UTC 2010

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 at 4:05pm, Jacob Shucart wrote

> With Gluster 3.1.1, you no longer need to do anything with the vol files.
> If you create a volume like you did below, then you simply mount it like:
>
> mount -t glusterfs 172.16.16.50:/pool /pool/mount
>
> Gluster automatically gets the volume information when mounting.  This is
> described at:
>
> http://www.gluster.com/community/documentation/index.php/Gluster_3.1:_Manu
> ally_Mounting_Volumes

This brings up an issue I've been wondering about.  With the old style
(vol-file-on-the-clients based) mounting, there was no single point of
failure when it came to mounting (assuming, of course, that if the first
server listed in the vol file was down, the gluster client would try the
next one).  In the syntax quoted above, if that particular server happens
to be down, the mount will fail.

Is there any way in 3.1.1 to avoid that SPOF?

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin