[Gluster-users] gluster rebalance taking multiple days

Jacob Shucart jacob at gluster.com
Tue Dec 7 15:43:19 UTC 2010

Mike,

I know Allen had sent you something within the support system regarding
this.  Based on his email, it sounds to me like it is possible something
underneath Gluster has caused the rebalance to hang.  This isn't any sort
of fatal problem as you can simply restart the rebalance once that has
been resolved and it will resume what it was doing.  The amount of time it
takes to rebalance depends on a few things like the number of files, the
size of the data, the network speed, and also the extent to which things
were unbalanced(if you are adding a lot more servers as opposed to a
couple it might take longer).  Generally speaking, if you double the
number of servers then the rebalance will probably move half of your data,
so it will take as long as that would normally take.

Jacob Shucart | Gluster
Systems Engineer
E-Mail	: Jacob at gluster.com
Direct	: (408)770-1504