[Gluster-users] troubles using glusterfs /home with GNOME on Ubuntu 10.04

Giovanni Toraldo me at gionn.net
Thu Dec 2 11:35:40 UTC 2010

2010/12/2 Deadpan110 <deadpan110 at gmail.com>:
> Hiya,
>
> I have never tried glusterfs with /home but from what I understand
> (anyone please correct me if I am wrong), locking on the glusterfs NFS
> server is not 100% like real NFS3... and even so... true NFS locking
> is poor anyways.

Yes, as far as I understand googling around, glusterfs doesn't
implement NLM, and many applications that rely on it don't play nice
without it.

> Firefox is a prime example of not being NFS friendly too (not
> glusterfs, but NFS in general), Firefox uses sqlite and that will not
> play nicely over NFS.

The system currently in production is a glusterfs 3.0.5 with
fuse-clients, and I'm investigating some troubles with gvfsd-metadata
and it's database that seems to get corrupted.
I was evaluating the possibility to switch to NFS-client and glusterfs
3.1, but it's really not a solution due to locks.

I've got problems with corrupted firefox profiles in the past, but
disappeared after a glusterfs upgrade (don't remember which version i
was using, probably 3.0.2).

> I have had some success using native glusterfs mounting (fuse) for use
> with locking, and version 3.1.1 (i have only used GA9 so far) seemed
> stable.

My next step would probably be upgrade to 3.0.6 or 3.1.1, both with
fuse-clients.

> Again, I have not used for a desktop gnome environment, but would
> suggest you give it a try.

Many thanks you for your thoughts.

--
Giovanni Toraldo