[Gluster-users] Moving external storage between bricks

Jacob Shucart jacob at gluster.com
Wed Dec 1 18:39:36 UTC 2010

James,

Gluster itself aggregates the multiple filesystems, so you don't need to
use LVM.  You can give Gluster as many filesystems as you want and it will
pool them together and present them as one large volume if that is what
you have in mind.  If ext4 is really what you want to use you can
certainly install Fedora and that has ext4 support.  CentOS 6 will also
have support for ext4 when it is released which won't be too far away I
imagine.  Gluster itself does not have a preference between small bricks
and large bricks.  The reasons for using smaller or larger filesystems
underneath Gluster as storage bricks is more to get around issues that
those filesystems might have related to the maximum file sizes or maximum
number of files or that sort of thing.

-Jacob