[Gluster-users] GlusterFS CPU hit

Freddy Morgenstern fmorgenstern at icarnegie.com
Mon Aug 2 15:27:57 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am a GlusterFS newbee and I am experiencing the following problem: whenever I run the top command a process called glusterfsd is using over 15% of the CPU at all times and my %wa is usually over 15%.  I find the %wa particularly worrisome because it's my understanding that this means that the cpu has to wait a very long time each time it requests data to the hard drive.

Can you please tell me if the high CPU ussage is normal behavior of glusterFS, if the high %wa could be caused by glusterFS  and if so is there any way I can optimize/tune my server to eliminate the problem?

System Configuration:
- GlusterFS 2.0.8-1
- RAID 1 SATA disk arrays
- CentOS