[Gluster-users] Increased performance for small files with debug/trace translator?

Major Hayden major at mhtx.net
Tue Aug 3 14:24:01 UTC 2010

This has stumped me beyond belief.  I'm actually getting *much better* small file performance with debug/trace added into the client-side volfile than without it.  Here's what I did to test it:

  1) Downloaded latest.tar.gz (current Wordpress tarball from wordpress.org)
  2) tar xzf latest.tar.gz -C /mnt/glusterfs
  3) rm -rf /mnt/glusterfs/wordpress
  4) Added debug/trace translator in client volfile
  5) Repeated steps 2 & 3

Initial test with my normal client volfile:
  Client volfile: http://pastie.org/1072935
  untar: 32.999s
  removal: 4.540s

Second test with debug/trace translator enabled:
  Client volfile: http://pastie.org/1072951
  untar: 6.077s
  removal: 1.806s

After several test runs, the subsequent results were within a few seconds of the initial run.  Between each run, I alternated volfiles to include and exclude the debug/trace translator and then unmounted/mounted the GlusterFS volume  If you compare the two volfiles, the *only* difference is that I added/removed in the debug/trace translator.

I decided to do a third test in which I add one extra debug/trace translator for the second server as well:

  Client volfile: http://pastie.org/1072968
  untar: 5.260s
  removal: 1.589s

The performance is marginally better with debug/trace on both bricks.

  My client details: http://pastie.org/1072993
  Server volfile: http://pastie.org/1072996

If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

--