[Gluster-users] NFS file locks

Steinmetz, Ian Ian_Steinmetz at cable.comcast.com
Thu Apr 29 14:46:35 UTC 2010

	I'm seeing an issue where I can't lock files on a NFS exported
GlusterFS mount.  I have two servers connected to each other doing AFR
to provide a high available NFS server (mirror the content, one VIP for
NFS mounts to clients).  Both of the servers have mounted
"/mnt/glusterfs" using GlusterFS with the client pointing to both
servers.  I then export the filesyste with NFS.  I grabbed a quick perl
program that tries to lock a file for testing, which fails only on the
glusterfs.  When I export a normal directory "/mnt/test" the locking
works.
	Any ideas appreciated.  I have a feeling I've implemented the
posix/locks option incorrectly.

Both servers are running Ubuntu with identical setups, below are
relevant configs.
root at gluster01:/mnt/glusterfs# uname -a
Linux gluster01 2.6.31-20-generic-pae #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 12 06:25:51
UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

root at gluster01:/mnt/glusterfs# cat /etc/exports
/mnt/glusterfs  <ip removed for
security>/25(rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,no_subtree_check,sync,insec
ure,fsid=10)
/mnt/test       <ip removed for
security>/25(rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,no_subtree_check,sync,insec
ure,fsid=11)

* I've tried async, rsync, removing all options except FSID.

root at gluster02:/etc/glusterfs# cat glusterfs.vol
volume brick1
 type protocol/client
 option transport-type tcp/client
 option remote-host <ip removed for security> # IP address of the remote
brick
 option remote-subvolume brick        # name of the remote volume
end-volume

volume brick2
 type protocol/client
 option transport-type tcp/client
 option remote-host <ip removed for security>      # IP address of the
remote brick
 option remote-subvolume brick        # name of the remote volume
end-volume

volume afr1
 type cluster/afr
 subvolumes brick1 brick2
end-volume

volume writebehind
  type performance/write-behind
  option window-size 4MB
  subvolumes afr1
end-volume

volume cache
  type performance/io-cache
  option cache-size 512MB
  subvolumes writebehind
end-volume

volume readahead
   type performance/read-ahead
   option page-size 128KB     # unit in bytes
   subvolumes cache
end-volume

volume iothreads
   type performance/io-threads
   option thread-count 4
   option cache-size 64MB
   subvolumes readahead
end-volume

root at gluster02:/etc/glusterfs# cat glusterfsd.vol
volume posix
  type storage/posix
  option directory /data/export
end-volume

volume locks
  type features/posix-locks
  option manditory on  # tried with and without this, found in a search
of earlier post
  subvolumes posix
end-volume

volume brick
  type performance/io-threads
  option thread-count 8
  subvolumes locks
end-volume

volume server
  type protocol/server
  option transport-type tcp
  option auth.addr.brick.allow *
  option auth.addr.brick-ns.allow *
  option transport.socket.nodelay on
  option auth.ip.locks.allow *
  subvolumes brick
end-volume

* file to test locking...
root at gluster02:/mnt/glusterfs# cat locktest.pl
#!/usr/bin/perl

use Fcntl qw(:flock);

my $lock_file = 'lockfile';

open(LOCKFILE,">>$lock_file") or die "Cannot open $lock_file: $!\n";
print "Opened file $lock_file\n";
flock(LOCKFILE, LOCK_SH) or die "Can't get shared lock on $lock_file:
$!\n";
print "Got shared lock on file $lock_file\n";
sleep 2;
close LOCKFILE;
print "Closed file $lock_file\n";

exit;

*Test run from gluster02 using normal NFS mount:
root at gluster02:/# mount <ip removed for security>:/mnt/test /mnt/test
root at gluster02:/# cd /mnt/test
root at gluster02:/mnt/test# ./locktest.pl
Opened file lockfile
Got shared lock on file lockfile
Closed file lockfile

*Test run from gluster02 using gluster exported NFS mount:
root at gluster02:/# mount 74.81.128.17:/mnt/glusterfs /mnt/test
root at gluster02:/# cd /mnt/test
root at gluster02:/mnt/test# ./locktest.pl
Opened file lockfile
Can't get shared lock on lockfile:
No locks available

--