[Gluster-users] Gluster bandwidth usage -

Craig Carl craig at gluster.com
Wed Apr 28 22:40:02 UTC 2010

Gluster-users -

First I'd like to introduce myself, I'm Craig Carl, the new sales engineer here at Gluster Inc. I've been a Gluster user and a community/mailing list participant for a long time, and I'm very excited to be working with the incredible team here at Gluster Inc. and all of the members of the Gluster community. A strong community is vital to the success of any open source software project, I wanted to make sure you all know that your input and support is recognized and very much appreciated. Everyone here in the office is subscribed to this list and we are always glad to get feedback from you, good or otherwise.

More on topic -

Disk and processor speeds have increased by leaps and bounds in the last ten years while network connection speeds have stagnated, 1000Base-T is over ten years old(1). Because of those issues Gluster users usually hit some sort of bandwidth limit long before the storage node's CPU, memory, or disk I/O limits are reached. Bonding 1Gb interfaces can help, but the law of diminishing returns kicks in very quickly.

We would like to know if bandwidth saturation is impacting your Gluster cluster.

    • Do you monitor and log the storage node's IP or IB interfaces for bandwidth used %?
    • Do the interfaces look saturated? How does a saturated link affect your access to the data?
    • Do you have MRTG, Cacti, or any other bandwidth monitoring tools installed and suspect network saturation is an issue at your site?
    • Have you had a bandwidth problem and solved it?
    • Would you be willing to share that data with us?

Please let us know!

Any information you have related to bandwidth and Gluster would be very helpful. If you want to send a responce directly to me please do, your data will be kept private.

If you live or work in the San Francisco Bay Area I'd love to talk to you about how you are using Gluster, the beer(s) is on me, please get in touch!

Thank you all very much for your continued support.

Craig

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.3ab#History

--
Thanks,