[Gluster-users] speeding up getdents()/stat() and/or general perf tuning...

mki-glusterfs at mozone.net mki-glusterfs at mozone.net
Wed Sep 30 14:28:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 08:53:44PM -0400, Mark Mielke wrote:
> The TCP_NODELAY seems particularly relevant to me if many small requests
> are being issued in sequence as a /bin/ls is likely to do?
>
> The lookup-unhashed might be relevant to stat() calls issued as a part
> of the /bin/ls process.

Thanks Mark! Indeed this makes a significant difference when coupled with
the lookup-unhashed=off option (which I thought I had in place before
because I recall running into a scenario where replication wasn't working
correctly and I had to set that in order to fix it, but that was in
2.0.3 from what I remember.)

> There is a stat-prefetch module that I do not see documentation for. I
> wish there was more comments. A quick skim of it suggests that it
> *might* be designed to improve /bin/ls performance. That it's not
> documented may mean it is for 2.1 or later?

Interesting.  I'll have to poke at the codebase this weekend again as
it's been a while since I last looked at it.

Mohan