[Gluster-users] is glusterfs DHT really distributed?

Wei Dong wdong.pku at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 14:35:22 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I noticed a very weird phenomenon when I'm copying data (200KB image
files) to our glusterfs storage.  When I run only run client, it copies
roughly 20 files per second and as soon as I start a second client on
another machine, the copy rate of the first client immediately degrade
to 5 files per second.   When I stop the second client, the first client
will immediately speed up to the original 20 files per second.  When I
run 15 clients, the aggregate throughput is about 8 files per second,
much worse than running only one client.  Neither CPU nor network is
saturated.  My volume file is attached.  The servers are running on a 66
node cluster and the clients are a 15-node cluster.

We have 33x2 servers and at most 15 separate machines, with each server
serving < 0.5 clients on average.  I cannot think of a reason for a
distributed system to behave like this.  There must be some kind of
central access point.

- Wei