[Gluster-users] Rsync

Hiren Joshi josh at moonfruit.com
Tue Sep 22 10:39:52 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I'm getting what I think is bizarre behaviour.... I have about 400G to
rsync (rsync -av) onto a gluster share, the data is in a directory
structure which has about 1000 directories per parent and about 1000
directories in each of them.

When I try to rsync an end leaf directory (this has about 4 dirs and 100
files in each) the operation takes about 10 seconds. When I go one level
above (1000 dirs with about 4 dirs in each with about 100 files in each)
the operation takes about 10 minutes.

Now, if I then go one level above that (that's 1000 dirs with 1000 dirs
in each with about 4 dirs in each with about 100 files in each) the
operation takes days! Top shows glusterfsd takes 300-600% cpu usage
(2X4core), I have about 48G of memory (usage is 0% as expected).

Has anyone seen anything like this? How can I speed it up?

Thanks,

Josh.