[Gluster-users] The continuing story ...

Peter Gervai grinapo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 08:35:22 UTC 2009

Funny thread we have.

Just a sidenote on the last week part about userspace cannot lock up
the system: blocking resource waits / I/O waits can stall _all_ disk
access, and try to imagine what you can do with a system without disk
access. Obviously, you cannot log in, cannot start new programs,
cannot load dynamic libraries. Yet the system pings, and your already
logged in shells may function more or less, especially if you have a
statically linked one (like sash).

As a bitter sidenote: google for 'xtreemfs', may be interesting if you
only need a shared redundant access with extreme network fault
tolerance. (And yes, it can stall the system, too. :-))

Another sidenote: I tend to see FUSE as a low-speed toy nowadays. It
doesn't seem to be able to handle any serious I/O load.

--
 byte-byte,
    grin