[Gluster-users] The continuing story ...

Anand Avati avati at gluster.com
Fri Sep 18 08:14:02 UTC 2009

>> Hi
>>
>> It also hangs if there is no glusterfs server available
>
> Is this during runtime or during mount time? For me, it can happen at mount
> time when I reboot all servers at the same time. Once I kill -9 the 'mount'
> process, umount the mount point, and then remount, the freeze clears. Still,
> having to do this in the first place is bothersome.

The "hang" you see at mount time when all servers are down is actually
the delay for a tcp connect() to succeed. During the initialization
connect() is given a full opportunity before transport states are set,
so that operations on the mountpoint immediately following a mount do
not fail unnecessarily. So your mount "hang" is supposed to return
after 3mins (the default tcp connect time). If the server machine is
up or if the machines are in the same network (where a "Host not
reachable" error is received much earlier) then the hang should not be
observed. Can you confirm that your hang is actually the delay matched
in this description? We are figuring out the best way to cut this
delay.

Avati