[Gluster-users] about ulimit -n 1M

Wei Dong wdong.pku at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 13:45:16 UTC 2009

Hi,

I noticed that the glusterfs client tries to set ulimit -n to 1M.  When
I run booster with non-privileged user, the following line appears
several times in the log file:

[2009-09-14 09:15:22] W [client-protocol.c:6010:init] brick-0-0-0:
WARNING: Failed to set 'ulimit -n 1M': Operation not permitted

When I run it with root, there's no such complaint even though
/proc/sys/fs/file-max shows a value of 65536.  For normal user, it seems
the default maximum of RLIMIT_NOFILE is 4096, which is a much smaller
value than that is required by glusterfs.

I'm wondering what's the impact of RLIMIT_NOFILE has to the performance
and scalability of glusterfs.  Does glusterfs in deed needs to open a
large number of files when my DHT aggregates ~100 machines and ~500
volumes?  I'm not sure if I should increase RLIMIT_NOFILE to a large
number for every user when everyone needs to run booster in order to
access glusterfs.

Thanks,

- Wei