[Gluster-users] booster

Shehjar Tikoo shehjart at gluster.com
Mon Sep 14 09:33:05 UTC 2009

Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:40:03 +0530 Shehjar Tikoo
> <shehjart at gluster.com> wrote:
>
>>> We only tried to run some bash scripts with preloaded
>>> booster...
>>>
>> Do you mean the scripts contained commands with LD_PRELOADed
>> booster? Or were you trying to run bash with LD_PRELOADed
>> booster?
>>
>> The second scenario will not work at this point.
>>
>> Thanks -Shehjar
>
> Oh, that's bad news. We tried to PRELOAD booster in front of bash
> (implicit, called the bash-script with LD_PRELOADED). Is this a
> general problem or a not-yet-implemented feature?

A general problem, I'd say. The last time, i.e. when we revamped
booster, we tried running with bash but there was some clash with bash
internals.

We havent done anything special to fix the problem since then because:

1. it requires changes deep inside GlusterFS and;

2. running bash wasnt a very useful scenario when the LD_PRELOAD
variable can be added for the bash environment as a whole. For eg.
if you just do "export LD_PRELOAD=<blah>" on the command line, you can
actually have every program started from that shell use booster.

-Shehjar