[Gluster-users] The continuing story ...

Mark Mielke mark at mark.mielke.cc
Wed Sep 9 23:43:15 UTC 2009

> On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 23:17:07 +0530
> Anand Avati<avati at gluster.com>  wrote:
>

>> Please reply back to this thread only after you have a response from
>> the appropriate kernel developer indicating that the cause of this
>> lockup is because of a misbehaving userspace application. After that,
>> let us give you the benefit of doubt that the misbehaving userspace
>> process is glusterfsd and then continue any further debugging. It is
>> not that we do not want to help you, but we really are pointing you to
>> the right place where your problem can actually get fixed. You have
>> all the necessary input they need.
>>
> This is the kind of statement that often drives listeners to think about a
> project fork...

Only if backed up. Has the trace been shown to the linux developers?
What do they think?

If the linux developers come back with "this is totally a userspace
program - go away", then yes, it can lead to people thinking about a
project fork. But, if the linux developers come back with "crap - yes,
this is a kernel program", then I think you might owe Anand an apology
for pushing him... :-)

In this case, there is too many unknowns - but I agree with Anand's
logic 100%. Gluster should not be able to cause a CPU lock up. It should
be impossible. If it is not impossible - it means a kernel bug, and the
best place to have this addressed is the kernel devel list, or, if you
have purchased a subscription from a company such as RedHat, than this
belongs as a ticket open with RedHat.

Cheers,
mark

--