[Gluster-users] How does replication work?

Daniel Maher dma+gluster at witbe.net
Tue Sep 8 17:18:34 UTC 2009

Mark Mielke wrote:

> For Daniel: For the seems crazy, compared to what? Every time I look at
> other solutions such as Lustre and see how they rely on a single
> metadata server, that itself is supposed to be highly available using
> other means, I have to ask, are they really solving the highly
> availability problem, or are they just narrowing the scope? If the whole

> For "shared nothing", each node really does need to be fully independent
> and able to make its own decisions. I think the GlusterFS folk have the
> model right in this regard.
>
> The remaining question is whether they have the *implementation* right. :-)

You're taking my statement too far. :)  All i meant was that i don't
think the clients should be responsible for replication - that, in my
mind, is the job of the servers.

Basically, i *like* it when the clients are independant, and the servers
work together - not the other way around.  That's all.

--
Daniel Maher <dma+gluster at witbe.net>