[Gluster-users] How does replication work?

Alan Ivey ai4891 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 8 17:01:06 UTC 2009

Daniel Maher wrote,

> Well, auto-healing only needs to happen if one or more of the storage bricks was inaccessible - otherwise files stay synchronised via replication as normal.

> If you're considering running a process in order to trigger self-heal all the time, then presumably something is really wrong with your network, and you should probably address that before trying to get Gluster going. :)

This is for running some "cloud" servers where we want all files available on each machine locally so all servers have the same files but can still get local performance. I don't think I'll need to run a cron like that but it's not my network so I'm trying to figure out how to get all of the gears working together.

I did just discover that changing permissions does not seem to heal. I had two servers up, killed glusterfsd on server2, on client I changed the permissions of a file, brought server2 back online, ran ls on client, and server2 still had the old permissions. It's not really a big issue since I don't see myself changing permissions often, esp with any servers down, but interesting nonetheless.