[Gluster-users] server disk space quota

Mark Mielke mark at mark.mielke.cc
Sat Sep 5 22:56:53 UTC 2009

On 09/05/2009 06:50 PM, hai wu wrote:
> I have some production servers with extra disk space. Everything here is
> under a single '/' root file system.
>
> Is it ok to use existing ext3 file systems on gluster server?

Yes.

> How to
> restrict space usage for the exported portion from server, to avoid disk
> space full issue on the server side?

I am thinking no - although  I could be wrong. Where would it keep the
quota information? GlusterFS prefers to keep all metadata on the file
system itself rather than keeping a separate store. There is no central
"how much space is being used for GlusterFS?" query for GlusterFS to
perform, so there would be no cheap way of figuring out how much was was
available before allowing a write() operation to complete.

You might be able to look into something like per-user quotas provided
by your operating system, assuming the GlusterFS users are different
than the server system users.

I think you should have separate file systems. Putting many things on
"/" is ok - putting everything on "/" is going to cause you many
problems. This is one example of such a problem.

Cheers,
mark

--
Mark Mielke<mark at mielke.cc>