[Gluster-users] Gluster 2-Node like DRBD - poor performance and not-redundant?

Jeffery Soo js at realtechtalk.com
Tue Oct 13 22:49:13 UTC 2009

Hi guys

I've been playing around with GlusterFS because I was hoping to replace
DRBD with it. Maybe I'm getting something wrong, but it doesn't seem as
robust or dependable as DRBD.
I just want to setup 2 GlusterFS with striping (I believe the correct
term is really AFR with GlusterFS), for high availability.

So far I've found the performance very slow, with 3-7MB/s and that if
you shut down one GlusterFS server, you will get "Transport endpoint is
not connected" when trying to write data.

Here are my config files:

### Add client feature and attach to remote subvolume of server1
volume brick1
type protocol/client
option transport-type tcp/client
option remote-host 192.168.1.21 # IP address of the remote brick
option remote-subvolume brick # name of the remote volume
end-volume

### Add client feature and attach to remote subvolume of server2
volume brick2
type protocol/client
option transport-type tcp/client
option remote-host 192.168.1.22 # IP address of the remote brick
option remote-subvolume brick # name of the remote volume
end-volume

### The file index on server1
volume brick1-ns
type protocol/client
option transport-type tcp/client
option remote-host 192.168.1.21 # IP address of the remote brick
option remote-subvolume brick-ns # name of the remote volume
end-volume

### The file index on server2
volume brick2-ns
type protocol/client
option transport-type tcp/client
option remote-host 192.168.1.22 # IP address of the remote brick
option remote-subvolume brick-ns # name of the remote volume
end-volume

#The replicated volume with data
volume afr1
type cluster/afr
subvolumes brick1 brick2
end-volume

#The replicated volume with indexes
volume afr-ns
type cluster/afr
subvolumes brick1-ns brick2-ns
end-volume

#The unification of all afr volumes (used for > 2 servers)
volume unify
type cluster/unify
option scheduler rr # round robin
option namespace afr-ns
subvolumes afr1
end-volume

# file: /etc/glusterfs/glusterfs-server.vol

volume posix
type storage/posix
option directory /data/export
end-volume