[Gluster-users] performing backups

Pablo Godel pablo.godel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 19:12:34 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am looking into glusterfs. I really like how simple is to setup one up.

One question I have is how to perform backups on data in the cluster,
something that otherwise would be done with snapshots and some backup
software, even with tar.

The main purpose for backups would not be disaster recovery, but in case
customers mess up and we need to recover files from let's same one day or
one week ago.

I know this does not make much sense on large installations, but I am not
looking to have a very large installation.

One thing I can think of is having a client connected to the cluster to
perform backups by scanning the file system, would this be the recommended
way? How would it impact performance on servers and clients at the time of
running the backup process?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Pablo Godel