[Gluster-users] on-the-fly addition of nodes

Harold Lim rold_50 at yahoo.com
Wed May 27 18:59:16 UTC 2009

I was wondering whether the current release  (2.0) supports on-the-fly addition of nodes.
In the technical faq It says:
"Yes, you can add more bricks in your volume specification file and restart GlusterFS (re-mount). Its schedulers (alu) are designed to balance the file system data as you grow."

I was wondering if in the current release, do we still have to re-mount GlusterFS?

Also, how do we remove nodes in GlusterFS? Do we just shutdown the node and GlusterFS will be able to detect it and re-replicate the data?

If I am interested in a distributed storage (http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/Hash_Across_Four_Storage_Servers), what is the default policy the client uses to hash across the storage node? How does gluster balance the data across the nodes? Specifically, If I add a new node, does gluster migrate data to the new node?

Are these "policies" configurable?

-Harold