[Gluster-users] another NFS vs glusterfs performance question

Paolo Pisati paolo.pisati at tomato.it
Fri May 22 08:16:31 UTC 2009

Matt M wrote:
> This is a follow-up to my earlier email.  I still haven't been able to
> figure out what the problem is, but if I turn off AFR between the
> servers, write performance improves to be about the same as NFS.
>
> I can send my config files again, but basically I comment out the afr
> sections and point my client directly to one of the servers by changing
> the "remote-host" option in the client vol file.  I'm testing write
> performance with
>
> time sh -c "dd if=/dev/zero of=ddfile bs=8k count=20000 && sync"
> time sh -c "dd if=/dev/zero of=ddfile-gfs bs=8k count=200000 && sync"

could you try a different speed/stress test?

for example, download the latest firefox archive (or any other
big-enough compilable application),
decompress it on the server, export the filesystem via nfs and via gfs,
and try to compile it from
the client: what's the difference between the two filesystems?