[Gluster-users] cluster/distribute vs DHT

Sacerdoti, Federico Federico.Sacerdoti at DEShawResearch.com
Thu May 14 14:42:36 UTC 2009

Hi,

I am benchmarking gluster, and would like to ensure I understand the
options related to consolidating the storage bricks. I'm a bit confused
about "cluster/unify", "cluster/dht", and "cluster/distribute".

This page shows how dht is different from unify, but what is distribute,
a rename of DHT?

http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/Understanding_DHT_Translator

It would be helpful to see an example of distribute+replicate. I am
trying to approximate an HDFS setup that I've tested, which replicates
files over many servers, but favors local storage like nufa. In Gluster
I am using:

Translators:
 fuse -> distribute -> replicate -> {bricks}
Bricks are:
 server -> io-threads(8) -> locks -> posix_storage

I would like to measure worst-case performance, without any cache
effects. Are there any translators or options that I should include for
best performance?

Thanks,
fds