[Gluster-users] help me saturate my reads with a stripe of 4 machines

Erick Tryzelaar idadesub at users.sourceforge.net
Fri May 1 05:56:44 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Erick Tryzelaar
<idadesub at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> I'm having trouble getting stripe to perform as well as I'd expect.
> I've managed to get it to work pretty well with 2 machines in a stripe
> set with these files:

Some more details. I've found that if I make my stripe set block size
64MB+ or higher, I can saturate my read speed. The smaller the block
size, the lower the total bandwidth used. Since I'm essentially
serializing my reads from each machine, I think I'm hiding the cost
that gluster has when it's merging all the data from the stripes. At
the smaller stripe sizes the cost of merging the data dominates, and
ends up eating half the available bandwidth.