[Gluster-users] AFR simple setup and not working?

Pathiakis, Paul Paul.Pathiakis at ironmountain.com
Tue Mar 17 13:48:28 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Pathiakis, Paul
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2009 4:20 PM
To: Pathiakis, Paul; Keith Freedman; gluster-users at gluster.org
Subject: RE: [Gluster-users] AFR simple setup and not working?

Hi,

Nothing.  I tried the move /a/foo to /a/tmp.  I then tar'd it back.
Nothing on the other side.  The two machines say that they have a
working handshake and they are connected.  Is there something better
than just --debug?  Should I truss the process?

Thank you,

P.

OK, further information.  I mounted the empty directory /a/foo.  I then
started up glusterfsd -f simpleafr /mnt/foo --debug

At that point, I tar'd everything into the directory.  Things started
flying by in the logs as each file was loaded into /mnt/foo.  They
nicely appeared in /a/foo.  I'm assuming this is information is now
under gluster control, correct?

Now, how do I get the replication between servers to work?

Should I use the same command line to get the information on the other
side?  That is, mounting the /a/foo directory through FUSE onto
/mnt/foo?

This seems to be where I should be going, but this is not as simple as
I, initially, thought.

P.

Hi,

Well, I'm working forward on these things and getting further along,
however....

I managed to get everything under control on one machine, but the same
routine on the other side did nothing more then setup a similar
structure.  Although the machines have connectivity, according to their
logs and the --debug flag, I don't see anything propagating from one
side to the other.

I have this:

Machine 1

/a/tmp
/a/mnt  both have about 160 MB

Machine 2

/a/tmp
/a/mnt  both are empty

This is my afr.vol file on both machines.  Should it differ in any way?
That is, should my definitions of machine 1 or machine 2 or the order
anywhere be reversed?

volume posix
        type storage/posix
        option directory /var/asl/freenas
end-volume

volume brick
        type features/locks
        subvolumes posix
end-volume

volume machine01
        type protocol/client
        option transport-type tcp
        option remote-host 10.1.1.1
        option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume machine02
        type protocol/client
        option transport-type tcp
        option remote-host 10.1.1.2
        option remote-subvolume brick end-volume

volume home
        type cluster/afr
        option read-subvolume `hostname`
        subvolumes machine01 machine02
end-volume

volume server
        type protocol/server
        option transport-type tcp
        subvolumes brick home
        option auth.addr.home.allow *
        option auth.addr.brick.allow *
end-volume

Thank you,

P.

Paul Pathiakis
UNIX/Linux Systems Engineer
Iron Mountain Digital
120 Turnpike Rd.
Southborough, MA 01772

Microsoft - Where do you want to go today?
Linux - Where do you want to go tomorrow?
FreeBSD - Will you guys come on already?

The information contained in this email message and its attachments
is intended
only for the private and confidential use of the recipient(s) named
above, unless the sender expressly agrees otherwise. Transmission
of email over the Internet
 is not a secure communications medium. If you are requesting or
have requested
the transmittal of personal data, as defined in applicable privacy
laws by means
 of email or in an attachment to email you must select a more
secure alternate means of transmittal that supports your
obligations to protect such personal data. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient and/or you have received this
email in error, you must take no action based on the information in
this email and you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
misuse, copying, or disclosure of this communication is strictly
prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email
and delete the original message.