[Gluster-users] AFR simple setup and not working?

Pathiakis, Paul Paul.Pathiakis at ironmountain.com
Mon Mar 16 19:37:07 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: gluster-users-bounces at gluster.org
[mailto:gluster-users-bounces at gluster.org] On Behalf Of Keith Freedman
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2009 1:50 PM
To: Pathiakis, Paul; gluster-users at gluster.org
Subject: Re: [Gluster-users] AFR simple setup and not working?

At 10:34 AM 3/16/2009, Pathiakis, Paul wrote:
>I have machine 1 with a /a/foo that is populated.
>I have machine 2 with a /a/foo that is not populated.
>
>Shouldn't this configuration take what is on machine 1 and replicate
>it to machine 2?

no, it shouldn't.
iv you move  /a/foo to /a/tmp
then move the contents of /a/tmp to /a/foo then it will likely
replicate.
the files in /a/foo now dont have the extended attributes so gluster
doesn't know what to do with them.
you can't start replication with pre-existing data.  The data has to
at some point been put into the gluster filesytem by gluster.

>I'm just not seeing activity or replication.  Do I need to kick
>something to get this to work?

I test my replication as follows:
echo `hostname` `date` >> /path/to/gluster/mount/glustercheck
then run that from the other server

tail /path/to/gluster/mount/glustercheck
to make sure they are the same on both machines.

Keith

Hi,

Nothing.  I tried the move /a/foo to /a/tmp.  I then tar'd it back.
Nothing on the other side.  The two machines say that they have a
working handshake and they are connected.  Is there something better
than just --debug?  Should I truss the process?

Thank you,

P.
The information contained in this email message and its attachments
is intended
only for the private and confidential use of the recipient(s) named
above, unless the sender expressly agrees otherwise. Transmission
of email over the Internet
 is not a secure communications medium. If you are requesting or
have requested
the transmittal of personal data, as defined in applicable privacy
laws by means
 of email or in an attachment to email you must select a more
secure alternate means of transmittal that supports your
obligations to protect such personal data. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient and/or you have received this
email in error, you must take no action based on the information in
this email and you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
misuse, copying, or disclosure of this communication is strictly
prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email
and delete the original message.