[Gluster-users] Enterprise Application with O_DIRECT access

Hideo Umemura(Max-T) h.umemura at max-t.jp
Wed Mar 11 05:52:56 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

I am learning and evaluating a glusterfs for film/video editing facilities.
Some major film/video editing realtime applications are using the
O_DIRECT file access for video/audio data files.
The GLFS client via fuse mechanism is disallow the open file with
O_DIRECT flag.
I made a little sample code for read a file with O_DIRECT flag, and
tried open the files on GLFS volumes.
It returned "invalid arg" when open the file. It is OK when open the
file without O_DIRECT flag.

Is there a reason to have to refuse Direct I/O by the application though
it seems to use Direct I/O internally of GLFS?

Does someone have a problem same as me?
Let me know if you have any advise,plan in future or patch on this.

And, regarding the block size in fuse, I tried the optimization the
block size in client side for film/video applications.
When it was increased, the performance results is good.
I think that it is convenient if it can change the block size in mount
options.
What do you think?

Regards,

Hideo.