[Gluster-users] glusterfsd from non-root and general error reporting issues

Piotr Findeisen piotr.findeisen at azouk.com
Mon Mar 2 14:07:37 UTC 2009

Hi!

I have been playing around with GlusterFS for a while (with strong
intend to use in production, and use it soon -- if only I get AFR
healing to work).
General impression: wow, it's /impressive/! It's so configurable, so
stackable -- building complicated configurations doesn't look like an
issue :)

But for a glusterfs-still-newbie like me there are some problems here
and there:
Why glusterfsd (server) needs to be run as root?
If I run it from non-root users it fails silently (well, this silence is
definitely a bug, isn't it?)

When I run glusterfs (client) as non-root, it does at least report:

    gf_log_init: failed to open logfile
    "/tmp/var/log/glusterfs/glusterfs.log" (Permission denied)
    failed to open logfile /tmp/var/log/glusterfs/glusterfs.log.  exiting

Well, but one of most pleasant benefits of FUSE is the ability to mount
filesystem as non-root...

Additionally, when I run glusterfs as root but forget to pass a
mountpoint or pass relative path to mountpoint -- this time it fails
silently. It's log doesn't contain any entry I would take as explanation :)

great work -- keep going!
regards,
Piotr Findeisen