[Gluster-users] intended behavior filter translator

Ate Poorthuis atepoorthuis at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 19:24:15 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Can someone enlighten me about the intended behavior of the filter
translator? From the documentation, I thought it would behave the same as
NFS mapping/squashing. However, this is not what I see in my setup.

Let's say I map everything to UID 1500 - using either the fixed-uid or the
translate-uid and gid option. Now, on the client side, every file and
directory appears to be owned by 1500. If I try to create new files or
directories as uid 1001 this fails because of a lack of permission.  If I
chmod 777 a directory then user 1001 can create new files/directories but
cannot change them afterwards as they appear to be owned by 1500. On the
server side, those files are owned by 1001. This is exactly opposite of NFS.
There mapping everything to 1500 has the result that every file created by
1001 is owned by uid 1500, but 1001 can change these files since his uid is
mapped to 1500.

Am I doing something wrong or is this intended behavior? I have tried
both give the same result. The end goal is to have every user in the network
write and read each other's files. I thought uid mapping would be the best
way to do this.

Thanks!

Ate