[Gluster-users] balancing at the distribute translator

Min miniway at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 01:58:55 UTC 2009

[Sorry I'm resending this message because I didn't follow the title
convention]

Hello,
I'm a newbie at the GlusterFS.
>From the distribute translator document,
http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/Understanding_DHT_Translator

It seems to calculate hash value based on its parent directory.

For example, I have 3 bricks, br1, br2, br3 and each has 100G.
And I'm going to more files on the following two directories, one is 10G and
the other is 150G

/aa/*       (thousand files total 10G)
/bb/*       (tens of thousand files total 150G)

If files in /aa/ is mapped to br1 and  /bb/ is mapped to br2, would the
overflowing 50G of /bb/ be stored at one of free spaces in br1 or br3?
(min-free-disk is 0 for easier example)

If it is supported, how GFS can fine the overflowing files with O(1).
Otherwise, total size of a directory might be much smaller than one brick
size. (many directories can use same brick)

<http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/Understanding_DHT_Translator>Min

Thanks