[Gluster-users] Question regarding Replicate Translator

Steve steeeeeveee at gmx.net
Thu Jun 4 15:45:05 UTC 2009

I have a question regarding the Replicate Translator in v2.0.x:

1) Assuming I have 3 servers running the Replicate Translator and I set the [data|metadata|entry]-lock-server-count to 3 what will happen if one of the servers would be down? Will GlusterFS still work or will it refuse to work?

2) I have a setup where I have 2 GlusterFS servers running with Replicate and NUFA Translator and on each of the servers there is a GlusterFS client. See below the config (from just one system):

SERVER:
volume gfs-srv-ds
  type storage/posix
  option directory /mnt/glusterfs/mailstore01
end-volume

volume gfs-srv-ds-locks
  type features/locks
  option mandatory-locks off
  subvolumes gfs-srv-ds
end-volume

volume gfs-srv-ds-remote
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp
  option remote-host 192.168.0.77
  option remote-port 6997
  option frame-timeout 600
  option ping-timeout 10
  option remote-subvolume gfs-srv-ds-locks
end-volume

volume gfs-srv-ds-replicate
  type cluster/replicate
  option data-self-heal on
  option metadata-self-heal on
  option entry-self-heal on
  option data-change-log on
  option metadata-change-log on
  option entry-change-log on
  option data-lock-server-count 1
  option metadata-lock-server-count 1
  option entry-lock-server-count 1
  subvolumes gfs-srv-ds-locks gfs-srv-ds-remote
end-volume

volume gfs-srv-ds-nufa
 type cluster/nufa
 option local-volume-name gfs-srv-ds-locks
 subvolumes gfs-srv-ds-locks gfs-srv-ds-remote
end-volume

volume gfs-srv-ds-io-threads
  type performance/io-threads
  option thread-count 16
  subvolumes gfs-srv-ds-nufa
end-volume

volume gfs-srv-ds-io-cache
  type performance/io-cache
  option page-size 16KB
  option cache-size 64MB
  option priority *:0
  option cache-timeout 1
  subvolumes gfs-srv-ds-io-threads
end-volume

volume gfs-srv-ds-server
  type protocol/server
  option transport-type tcp
  option transport.socket.listen-port 6997
  option auth.addr.gfs-srv-ds-locks.allow 192.168.0.*,127.0.0.1
  option auth.addr.gfs-srv-ds-io-cache.allow 192.168.0.*,127.0.0.1
  subvolumes gfs-srv-ds-io-cache
end-volume

CLIENT:
volume gfs-cli-ds-client
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp
  option remote-host 127.0.0.1
  option remote-port 6997
  option frame-timeout 600
  option ping-timeout 10
  option remote-subvolume gfs-srv-ds-io-cache
end-volume

volume gfs-cli-ds-write-back
  type performance/write-behind
  option cache-size 4MB
  option flush-behind on
  subvolumes gfs-cli-ds-client
end-volume

volume gfs-cli-ds-io-cache
  type performance/io-cache
  option page-size 256KB
  option cache-size 64MB
  option priority *:0
  option cache-timeout 1
  subvolumes gfs-cli-ds-write-back
end-volume

The difference between the servers is just the address used to connect to each other but that's all. Other configuration is +/- the same.

Now my problem is that the exported brick is 100GB big but when looking with the client the total size is 200 GB. I always had the impression that Replicate Translator is a RAID-1 type setup. Why does the "df" command shows me the double size instead of just 100GB? To be honest: The used diskspace somehow seems to be double as well. So at the end I think the storage will not hold more then it can but still... the double size confuses me. What is the reason for that?

// Steve