[Gluster-users] Gluster 2.0.3 + Apache on CentOS5 performance issue

Liam Slusser lslusser at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 23:46:14 UTC 2009

I haven't tried an apples to apples comparison with Apache+mod_gluster vs
Apache+fuse+gluster however i do run both setups.  I load tested both setups
so to verified it could handle 4x our normal daily load and left it at that.
 I didn't actually compare the two (although that might be cool to do
someday).
I really like the idea of Apache+mod_gluster as I don't have to deal with
the whole fuse and mounting the filesystem.  It always scares me having a
public facing webserver with your whole backend fileshare mounted locally.
 Its very slick for serving content such as media files.  We serve audio
content to our CDN with a pair of Apache/mod_gluster servers - pushing
200-300mbit on average daily and everything works very well.

We run an apache+fuse+gluster setup because we need to run some mod_perl
before serving the actual content.  However performance is still very good.
 We do around 50-100 requests (all jpeg images) per second off of a fuse
mount and everything works great.  We also have a java tomcat+fuse+gluster
service which does image manipulation on the fly off of a gluster mount.

We have two backend gluster servers using replication which serve all this
content.

If you would like more information on our setup id be happy to share
offline.  Just email me privately.

thanks,
liam