[Gluster-users] DHT and AFR question

Matt M misterdot at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 19:47:39 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm setting up gluster to share /usr/local among 24 compute nodes.  The
basic goal is to be able to change files in /usr/local in one place, and
have it replicate out to all the other nodes.

What I'd like to avoid is having a single point of failure where one (or
several) nodes go down and the gluster volume becomes unavailable
everywhere.  I've begun to set it up using this example
<http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/Mixing_DHT_and_AFR>.

If all the nodes are both client and servers, how many replicate volumes
should I have?  I don't want a ton of replication traffic, but
redundancy is important.  Maximizing the size of the volume is less
important to me since I'm just reclaiming otherwise unused local disk
space on the nodes.

Thanks,
Matt