[Gluster-users] Stable version of Gluster 2.04?

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw at ithnet.com
Tue Jul 21 00:07:04 UTC 2009

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 08:46:16 -0700
Anand Avati <avati at gluster.com> wrote:

> > Nevertheless I would not say it is "stable". At least I can crash it within minutes to days of runtime.
>
> Can you report the crash you faced in 2.0.4? If possible file a crash
> bug with the backtrace in bugs.gluster.com.
> Thanks
>
> Avati

You cannot count on that. It is not possible to get this piece of software
stable by waiting for crash reports. Quite some of the problems do not produce
core dumps or regular dumpable crashes. Examples:

Our testbed consists of two servers (replicated standard setup) and two
clients.

If you start two continously running bonnies on both clients you will
experience some hangs or offline situations by one or even both servers and
hanging client filesystems. This always happens within 5 days of continuous
runs.

If you untar a standard kernel source on a client you will notice that in at
least 5 out of ten runs tar exits with previous errors.
If tar exits ok, try to make the kernel. Then you will notice that it
complains about quite some filedates in the future.
(The same archive works well on any local fs of course).

I cannot dump these problems, I only can tell you to check them out for
yourselves. They are all quite easily reproducable on a standard setup based
on opensuse 11.1.

Stephan