[Gluster-users] gluster ha/replication/disaster recover(dr translator) wish list

Keith Freedman freedman at FreeFormIT.com
Sat Jan 31 04:14:19 UTC 2009

>>so there should be no need to change your configuratoin, unless you
>>hate seeing all the connection down messages in your logfile.
>
>Well, I can see a couple of cases where it would be expedient to
>change the configuration.  Lets say one of the machines losses a
>disk and the machine won't be fixed for a week say.  Then, once the
>machine comes back up, I could use a different configuration and
>sync the files locally on the machine that is available rather than
>do it over the slow network.  I am guessing that this should work.

well. it depends I suppose.  where's this data coming from that you're syncing?
if it's in a backup, this would work, as long as the backup restores
the extended attributes as well.
then run ls -lR and it will just catch everything up.

you could also do this by setting the read-subvolume to the
fastest/closest server.

depending on the volume of data and speed of your network, it might
be just as fast or faster to just let gluster copy over everything,
rather that restore then auto-heal.

>Anyway, I'd like to thank once again the developers for the
>excellent software and the support.  Thank you for your patient answers!

They have my thanks as well.

Keith