[Gluster-users] encfs over glusterfs

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at trimble.co.nz
Fri Jan 30 19:43:54 UTC 2009

Andrew McGill wrote:
> I am considering running encfs over glusterfs so that I can include insecure
> boxes in the storage backend for our backups running rdiff-backup.  Actually,
> I would prefer the crypto to be done in glusterfs, but I understand that's a
> little way off.
>
> Does anyone use this arrangement -- and are there any gotchas?

I routinely run encfs over NFS as a mechanism to backup sensitive data
to servers under other groups control. It enables us to share disk
resource without giving away data access. It works well, but earlier on
I did have issues with the server crashing due to fuse/kernel bugs.

In your situation, you would be running a fuse filesystem over another
fuse filesystem. Giving my experience, I would be concerned there may be
some other bugs to contend with. However I have no direct experience
with that, so give it a go and find out! :-)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417