[Gluster-users] Server-Side AFR+Client HA vs Client-Side AFR

Keith Freedman freedman at FreeFormIT.com
Tue Jan 27 20:11:15 UTC 2009

At 10:40 AM 1/26/2009, Karri Niemelä wrote:
>What are the pros and cons using Server-Side
>AFR+Client HA. To me it sounds like a winner combo?
>What about comparing serverside afr+client ha to
>client-side afr? What are the main differences there?

client side AFR has advantages in that you get HA for the clients.
if the client handles the AFR and one of the
servers is down, then it will continue operating from the other server.

with Server Side AFR, you have a benefit of
optimized network operations, but this depends on your configuration.

Typically servers are connected via a
higher-speed network than clients are, so a
client updates a file to a server, the server
then updates quickly to the replica.

You also have a reduced liklihood of
misconfiguration with server-side replication.
if you have a bunch of clients and one of them is
misconfigured, you will have unpredictable
results and files may not be replicated to the correct servers.
this is especially likely when you grow/change
your configuration--updating a couple servers is
trivial, while updating dozens of clients all at
the same time would be a challenge.

So, really it just depends on your specific situation to know which is best.