[Gluster-users] glusterfs alternative ? :P

Stas Oskin stas.oskin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 18:55:56 UTC 2009

Hi.

> AFAIK, on Lustre the data is stored on the shared block device, if one
> wants to be able to fail over the service to another node.

This the bit I don't understand - shouldn't the Lustre nodes sync the data
between themselves? If there is a shared storage device needed on some
medium, what then the Lustre storage nodes actually do?

I mean, what is the idea of Lustre being cluster system, if it requires a
central shared storage device?

> But the shared block device may be a distributed mirrored block device
> (like DRBD) which mirrors each data block as it is written to its peer
> node. In such a configuration the data is actually stored on both nodes in
> the failover pair. My guess is that this is not a common configuration for
> production use.

AFAIK such config could be achieved without Lustre at all - just with 2
severs acting as storage nodes. This of course would make an active-passive
mode, and waste 50% of the resources.

Regards.