[Gluster-users] Failure: "Transport endpoint is not connected" (but it is!)

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Wed Jan 21 00:34:31 UTC 2009

Haven't seen the "Transport endpoint" problem again, yet. Instead, a different
problem surfaced this morning.

The servers began to "hang", taking 60 seconds or more to return a read. lsof
showed many open files in the GlusterFS partition, all being read. Traffic
monitor showed extremely high volume data flow (essentially, 1 Gb) between
the primary webserver and its glusterfs server twin.

Shutting down the webserver, glusterfs as client, and glusterfs as server,
then restarting the whole stack from server to client to apache resulted in a
system that was responsive - for a while. The reads were nearly all of the
same few dozen files that I want to have replicated on GlusterFS.

Based on what I've seen, I guess that:

1) Glusterfs does some kind of coherency check at every file read.

2) Glusterfs processes these coherency checks serially,

3) The coherency checking was backing up.

Am I out in left field, here? Is there something terrible and fundamental that
I'm missing, or is GlusterFS + Ethernet + stock Fuse + basic config just not
going to do all that well with medium-to-large amounts of reads of a few
hundred small files? (say, 50/second)

I ended up rolling back glusterfs and went back to a single, local file
system, and would like to move forward on this...

On Monday 19 January 2009 11:59:05 pm you wrote:
> 1. whether glusterfsd is running on the server or not, with the
> process state (from ps) if running
> 2. backtrace of coredump using gdb if it has crashed.
>
> we can figure the next step only after having one of the above two
>
> avati
>
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Benjamin Smith
>
> <lists at benjamindsmith.com> wrote:
> > On Monday 19 January 2009 05:05:20 pm you wrote:
> >> Do you have a coredump on the server? was glusterfsd running on the
> >> server at all?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > If it should happen again, what should I do to provide you with what you
> > need?
> >
> > -Ben

> >> --
> >> This message has been scanned for viruses and
> >> dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
> >> believed to be clean.
> >
> > --
> > believed to be clean.
>
> --