[Gluster-users] glusterfs alternative ? :P

Jerker Nyberg jerker at Update.UU.SE
Tue Jan 20 20:34:12 UTC 2009

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009, Stas Oskin wrote:

> Can someone explain in layman terms what is the meaning under the term "
> shared block storage"? As far as I understand it's a shared storage device
> (SAN, plain hard-disk, etc...), which provides write/read access to multiple
> servers/clients, and coordinates all the access operations (i.e. locking
> files, keeping files shadow copies, i.e.).

I will try. Shared block storage is a block device like /dev/sda
accessible on more than one server at once. This may be a plain hard-disk
or a hardware RAID. Coordination among the servers is handled on the file
system level above that - for example by OCFS or GFS. Using a normal file
system like Ext3 is not possible for read/write operations to the same
shared block storage since the servers would get very confused.

> Also, can someone explain where actually the shared block storage appears in
> Lustre? From what I read, the data is stored on separate storage nodes, and
> not on shared disk.

As far as I know; Lustre in itself do not handle redundancy or fault
tolerance. In order to get redundancy for Lustre (unlike GlusterFS or
Ceph) that must be handled by some kind of shared storage. And Lustre
needs the data to be stored on a block device.

Using shared block storage to keep the data on (usually a hardware RAID on
a SAN) makes it to move the service from one physical server to another.

Example: normally one server is taking care of service A and another
server is taking care of service B. The first server is also passively
taking care of service B and the other server passively taking care of
service A. When the first server goes down the other server is taking over
service A, which means both A and B are located on the same server.

Regards,
Jerker Nyberg.