[Gluster-users] VM Images Over GlusterFS

Alexander Atticus alexander.atticus at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 23:15:20 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am wondering if there is anyone on list that is successfully serving
virtual machine images (Xen, KVM, VMWare, etc.) over GlusterFS.  I am
concerned about difficulties the interaction with GlusterFS and large
files that are held open for large periods of time (except when the VM
is rebooted).

My main concern is with replication and failover. Is it currently
possible to setup relatively transparent failover of a brick or will
the VMs all need to be rebooted to "reopen" their disk images when a
brick goes down.  The setup we were thinking of going with here is
client striping + server side AFR.  I don't know whether HA will need
to be involved in order to make this happen.  Also, for the current
self-healing mechanism to work my understanding is that the image
(file) will need to be closed and reopened, i.e. the VM will need to
be rebooted but this may be fixed with the new healing tools I think
are coming in 2.0?

Thanks,

Alexander