[Gluster-users] Replication for missing file

Keith Freedman freedman at FreeFormIT.com
Thu Jan 15 04:05:36 UTC 2009

At 11:52 AM 1/14/2009, Gluster Novice wrote:
>Sorry to bug you with another newbie question :
>With regard to file replication, does Gluster FS repair a damaged
>file *only* when someone tries to read it ?

yes  (or, I believe when the directory containing the missing file is read).

>For example, let's say the filesystem is supposed to maintain 3
>copies of the file and one of the copies is lost / removed from the
>system for whatever reason, then will the missing copy be created
>the first time only when someone reads the file ?

if you need to insure syncronicity after a failure, there is a find
command in the wiki that will force auto-healing of the whole filesystem
find . -exec head -1 () \; > /dev/null
(I think that's it, it may not be syntactically valid)