[Gluster-users] glusterfs alternative ? :P

Jerker Nyberg jerker at Update.UU.SE
Thu Jan 8 15:17:12 UTC 2009

Hi,

The two interesting open source parallel distributed fault-tolerant file
systems I have found and tried are GlusterFS and Ceph. Perhaps Lustre will
be interesting for me in the future if they fix fault-tolerance without
special shared block storage on the servers. (Or have they?) Mirroring the
data two or more servers is good enough for me, although I would love some
RAID-6/RAID-Z -like redundancy.

Ceph is found here <http://ceph.newdream.net/>. I did some benchmarking
for Ceph a few months ago <http://www.update.uu.se/~jerker/ceph/>. On Ceph
I got around 65 MByte/s write bandwidth on one node (using "dd") and
around 120 MByte/s aggregate for the whole cluster (7 nodes).

It was around a year ago the last time I configured and ran GlusterFS on
the machines, but I do plan to do some better benchmarking for both file
systems in the not so distant future.

--jerker