[Gluster-users] pre-existing data

Zynovyev, Mykhaylo M.Zynovyev at gsi.de
Thu Feb 12 14:56:23 UTC 2009

Dear GlusterFS team,
in the GlusterFS version 1.3 I was using Unify translator with NUFA scheduler
to setup HPC cluster, where each node exported some data, and at the same time was able to access
the aggregated data from other nodes via mounted GlusterFS partition.
With such a setup I was able to dynamically start GlusterFS on different nodes with pre-existing
data, run "find . > /dev/null", and see the data on glusterfs partition.
If the amount of files was huge (9 nodes sharing 100.000 files) it took a long time to complete ls command.
As I see from version 2.0, I am not able to use more advanced from performance perspective DHT or NUFA translators for such a scenario,
because pre-existing data is not visible. The only data is going to be visible is the data written
through GlusterFS interface. Please, confirm my observations.
Do I have to stick to unify translator with nufa scheduler from the previous version from now on?
Is it going to be supported?
Is there any development expected in this direction?
Sincerely, Misha.