[Gluster-users] Gluster 3.0 with VMware ESX 4

Nicola Moresi nicola at moresi.com
Thu Dec 17 19:28:58 UTC 2009

Dear All,

I'm evaluating Gluster 3.0 with VMware ESX 4.
I have one physical server (with 1 SATA HD) installed with Gluster.
It's connected on a Gbit Switch with the port VMKernel of VMware. A single switch only for this storage.
I create the volume and on Gluster everything works perfect. The logs are clear with the startup. Also do a reboot.

I connect the NFS volume with the GUI of VMware. Works perfect.
I browse the empty store from the GUI and works. I create a directory and it works.
I try to browse the directory and the GUI hags... it take minutes for displaying the empty folder.

I created a new VM and placed on this Store. Works great
As soon as the machine start and start allocating space, it hang and is unresponsive.

I connect with SSH to the console of my VMware server.
I try to copy one virtual machine image file from another store, to the store assigned to Gluster.
It hangs, take minutes to browse and hang on copying.
No error on the Gluster log

Any ideas?

To have VMware work also with VMotion I have to setup the NFS with the GUI, I can mount normal on the file system.

Thanks for the Help.
Nicola

Nicola Moresi
http://www.moresi.com