[Gluster-users] Replication not working on server hang

David Saez Padros david at ols.es
Mon Aug 31 07:38:51 UTC 2009

Hi

>> In our case the hanged server is:
>>
>> Dell PE2900
>> 2 x X5470 at 3.33 8Gb RAM
>> SAS 6/iR Integrated RAID Controller
>> 7 x SEAGATE ST31000640SS
>> 1 x SEAGATE ST3300656SS
>> Debian testing
>> Kernel 2.6.26-2
>>
>> server hanged when writing to a unified volume (7 x 1Tb +
>> namespace and system on the ST3300656SS)
>
> We have:
>
> IBM x3650
> 2 x X5460 at 3.16 32Gb RAM
> SATA Integrated RAID Controller
> 4 X 1TB SATA Hitachi HUA72101
> RHEL 5.3
> Kernel 2.6.18-128.4.1.el5xen
> Glusterfs 2.0.3 w/ patch 943
>
> Couldn't be more different really!

yes, and we are using glusterfs 2.0.1

> Server hangs when building software on a 100GB replicated volume,
> mounted with direct-io-mode=disabled.

we have no problem on using the volume for reading data and if the
server is not under heavy load it works well for writing too, only
hangs when server is using 100% cpu for math intensise calculations
and we try to write a lot of data to glusterfs volume (it usually
takes some hours for it to hang)

> Talk of XFS being stable is encouraging me to give it a shot.

It will be very difficult for us to migrate everything to xfs
now, but i will like to see someone having problems without xfs
not having that problems with xfs rather than people not having
problems saying that xfs is stable to start such large migration
process

--
Best regards ...

    On-Line Services 2000 S.L.       telf    +34 902 50 29 75