[Gluster-users] Replication not working on server hang

Jeff Evans jeffe at tricab.com
Mon Aug 31 00:58:41 UTC 2009

Hola David,

> Maybe we could try to
> see if all the ones experiencing this problem have something in
> common.

Agreed.

> In our case the hanged server is:
>
> Dell PE2900
> 2 x X5470 at 3.33 8Gb RAM
> SAS 6/iR Integrated RAID Controller
> 7 x SEAGATE ST31000640SS
> 1 x SEAGATE ST3300656SS
> Debian testing
> Kernel 2.6.26-2
>
> server hanged when writing to a unified volume (7 x 1Tb +
> namespace and system on the ST3300656SS)

We have:

IBM x3650
2 x X5460 at 3.16 32Gb RAM
SATA Integrated RAID Controller
4 X 1TB SATA Hitachi HUA72101
RHEL 5.3
Kernel 2.6.18-128.4.1.el5xen
Glusterfs 2.0.3 w/ patch 943

Couldn't be more different really!

Server hangs when building software on a 100GB replicated volume,
mounted with direct-io-mode=disabled.

I have found that building:

http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/ghost/AFPL/GhostPCL/ghostpcl_1.40.tar.bz2
Reliably produces the hang in my case.
Even just a grep -R of the source gives me the dreaded hang.

Talk of XFS being stable is encouraging me to give it a shot.

XFS isn't shipped with RHEL 5.3, but then neither is FUSE! (both
should be in 5.4 though, finally).

Thanks, Jeff.