[Gluster-users] self-healing problem

Christian Schab christian.schab at me.com
Thu Aug 20 07:27:47 UTC 2009

Hello everybody,

I have problems with die self-healing function of the afr translator.

Our environment:
We have 2 Fileservers and a couple of Webservers.
Webservers are added and removed dynamically (it's in a cloud :-) )
(So i can't add them to the server configuration...)

On each Webserver is a local brick used as a type of cache.

Now when we change a file on a Fileserver.
The new file is replicated to the second Fileserver,
but the Webservers then start to "self-heal" this file.
afr: self-healing file /www/XXXX/yyyyyyy.gif from subvolume brick to 2
other
And all changes are lost :-(

"brick" is the local brick on the Webservers and shouldn't be used to
self-heal.

I thought "favorite-child" helps, but it doesn't seem so.

Can I change the behavior so, that changed files won't be self-healed?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Christian

We are using this version on all servers:
glusterfs 2.0.2 built on Jun 27 2009 01:45:43
Repository revision: 07019da2e16534d527215a91904298ede09bb798
Copyright (c) 2006-2009 Z RESEARCH Inc. <http://www.zresearch.com>
GlusterFS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You may redistribute copies of GlusterFS under the terms of the GNU
General Public License.

Here is our server configuration:
volume posix
     type storage/posix
     option directory /mnt/ebs1
end-volume

volume ebs
   type features/locks
   option mandatory-locks on
   subvolumes posix
end-volume

volume server
     type protocol/server
     option transport-type tcp/server
     option auth.addr.ebs.allow *
     subvolumes ebs
end-volume

The clienst configuration:
volume posix
  type storage/posix
  option directory /mnt/ebs1
end-volume

volume locks
   type features/locks
   subvolumes posix
end-volume

volume brick
  type performance/io-threads
  subvolumes locks
end-volume

volume fileserver1
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp
  option remote-host fileserver1
  option remote-subvolume ebs
end-volume

volume fileserver2
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp
  option remote-host fileserver2
  option remote-subvolume ebs
end-volume

volume afr
   type cluster/replicate
   option favorite-child brick
   subvolumes fileserver1 fileserver2 brick
end-volume

volume writebehind
   type performance/write-behind
   option cache-size 1MB